Every week we’ll be featuring a smart, savvy female entrepreneur we think is just great. These are women who are out there in the trenches each and every day, making things happen and affecting other people’s lives for the better. So pull up a comfy chair, grab a cup of coffee and meet this week’s SheBrand Superstar. We can all learn a golden nugget or two from each other.
Name: Carol Roth
Occupation: Recovering Investment Banker, Pundit and Best Selling Author
Twitter Handle: @CarolJSRoth
1. What are three words that best describe your personal brand?
Authentic, Bold, Masspirational (I coined that word to mean “mass”/relatable to a wide group + “aspirational”/something others can look up to)
2. Tell us why you’re awesome in two sentences or less?
I know who I am and I let that knowledge inform every decision that I make. And I have my own action figure.
3. What are your three biggest indulgences
That’s a tough question. I tend to think of these as necessities rather than indulgences, but I guess the following would qualify:
1) Food – I eat constantly and have the palate of a sophisticated eight-year old. My grilled cheese sandwich can be made with brie, but it’s still a grilled cheese.
2) Spa Services -I have been getting a massage pretty much weekly for the past 17 years.
3) Outerwear – I have an obsession with coats, jacket and other outwear. Although, now that I think of it, I also have an awful lot of shoes. And dresses…
4. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Mediocrity. Followed by cigarette smoke and waiters who clear any part of the table before everyone at the table is done eating.
5. If you could have dinner with anyone (living or not) who would it be and why?
That’s easy – my mother. She passed away from Leukemia when I was 25, the day after her 51st birthday. Having not been able to share so much with her over the years, it would be a true gift of an evening.
6. Why is having a powerful personal brand important to you?
I’m a powerful individual and having an authentic brand is what personal branding is all about, so my authenticity comes through conveying that power. Plus, the marketplace is so crowded these days that if you don’t stand for something, you don’t stand for anything.
7. What is your #1 marketing tip for fellow female entrepreneurs?
Build strong and substantial relationships. Your network is your most valuable asset for marketing yourself or your business, as well as getting feedback and help. Go for quality over quantity and nurture those connections.